Join Us in Welcoming the Healthcare Simulation’s Newest Born!
Measuring only 35cm long and weighing less than 1000g, Paul is the most accurate recreation of a preterm baby born in the 27th week of pregnancy. Overwhelmingly praised by neonatologists and NICU nurses for his highly realistic anatomy and convincingly lifelike features, the Paul High Emotion simulator has already become Europe’s favorite new manikin. Designed specifically to improve the realism and learning outcomes of your NICU/PICU training program, Paul will transform your simulations beyond high fidelity into high emotion.
1 in 10 babies are born premature
Providing high quality care for a preterm baby is a uniquely complex and time-sensitive process which is extremely challenging for inter-professional neonatal healthcare teams. Although preterm birth remains the most common cause of death among infants, preemies weighing only 500 to 1,000 grams can survive as healthy babies when cared for by highly trained healthcare professionals. Yet how can these professionals effectively learn life-saving procedures during such delicate critical care emergencies? Simulation is quickly becoming the modern way to educate and train healthcare professionals because it allows for the safe high-stakes practice of behavioral, cognitive and technical skills. Previously, such realistic technology had been impossible in the small body of a 27-week-old infant.
Moving beyond high fidelity to High Emotion
Current preterm simulators do not do enough to convey realistic patient experiences, leaving your participants to imagine a high fidelity relationship which minimizes their learning opportunity. Research has shown that more realistic simulators provide improved learning outcomes – and with 1 in every 10 births being preterm – shouldn’t your specialized department be the most prepared possible? Paul moves beyond high fidelity with new technologies never seen before in healthcare simulation… even in adult sized patient manikins.
Paul – The World’s Most Advanced Patient Simulator
When teaching new healthcare professionals about preterm care, experienced neonatologist and SIMCharacters Founder Dr. Jens Schwindt was deeply concerned by the limited pathologies and unrealistic anatomy offered by modern day preterm simulators. Determined to improve the outcomes of more than 15 million preterm births a year, in 2012 Jens founded SIMCharacters. Innovating beyond the limitations of high-fidelity simulator technology Paul was developed by a team of experts in the fields of neonatology, software development, mechanical engineering, Hollywood special effects design, and animatronics.
Today Paul provides next generation preterm simulator features including an anatomically correct 3D printed larynx based on real-life preterm MRI scans, physiological and pathological breathing patterns, highly realistic internal and external anatomical structures, and convincingly lifelike clinical practice features. With Paul, SIMCharacters is taking the next step in the future of medical simulation. High fidelity was yesterday – the future belongs to High Emotion Simulation. Paul was designed specifically to improve the realism and learning outcomes of your NICU team and will forever change the way neonatology trains.
Jens and the SIMCharacters team know that creating High Emotion Simulation requires understanding and empathy with the teams, families, and programs caring tirelessly for preterm newborns.
- Preterm infant of 27+3 gestational weeks
- Weight: 1000g, length: 35cm, head circumference: 26 cm
- Highly realistic external anatomy
- Realistic spontaneous respiration and pathological breathing patterns (paradoxical respiration, substernal retractions, grunting).
- Highly realistic upper airway ideal for practicing endotracheal intubation and special neonatological care strategies (MIST, INSURE)
- Mechanical ventilation using bag-mask and Perivent® systems
- Automatic tube position detection during intubation
- Physiological and pathological lung parameters for machine-assisted ventilation
- Palpable pulses on the umbilical cord and all four extremities
- Auscultatory respiratory, heart and intestinal noises
- Cyanosis and hyperoxia
- Sensors for:
- Correct head position
- Detection of assisted ventilation
- Detection of the tube in the trachea or esophagus
- Detection of the tube depth
- Automatic hypoventilation of the left lung if tube is inserted too deeply into the right main bronchus
- Detection of umbilical cord transection
- Detection of the umbilical venous catheter and the insertion depth
- Blockage of the umbilical venous catheter in the liver
What Leading Neonatologists Are Saying…
"Working with such a realistic simulator creates an interprofessional team training event which goes beyond high fidelity, to high emotion."
Neonatal Nurse Practitioner
General Hospital Vienna
"The most realistic preemie airway available on the market."
Professor Dr. Martin Wald
Head of the division of Neonatology
Paracelsus University Salzburg Austria
“The only premature infant simulator for highly realistic team training in neonatology.”
Dr. Manuel Wilhelm
Department Head of Neonatology & Pediatric Intensive Care
"Paul provides new residents with a unique and safe learning opportunity before they ever touch a premature baby."
Dr. Claudia Lindtner
Resident in Neonatology
Medical University Vienna
“Providing high quality care for a preterm baby is a uniquely complex and time-sensitive process which is extremely challenging for NICU inter-professional healthcare teams. Our mission at SIMCharacters is to improve the quality of care for critically ill preterm and newborn infants by advancing the realism and effectiveness of training simulators – this is why we have developed Paul.”
Neonatologist and SIMCharacters CEO
Simple Controls for Complex Scenarios
- Instantly change layout screen to prefeered manufacturer with Dräger, Philips and Nellcor designs with more coming soon.
- Wirelessly change monitor parameters like parameter display, curve position and color code.
- Easily review real-time display of all preterm simulator conditions including: chest compressions, tube depth, UVC position, and motion artifacts.
- Regularly bring simulation in-situ with completely wireless control systems that are easy to transport and setup.
- Efficiently manage Paul via real-time 3D animated interface of the patient simulator
- Quickly create scenarios by linking quicksave patient states together.
- Directly integrate Paul into the SIMStation® debriefing system, or link into your pre-existing recording platform.
High Emotion Simulation Goes Beyond the Manikin
Data collected from learner interactions with Paul, such as intubation, UVC insertion, and chest compressions, combine with your custom annotations and are automatically recorded into Paul’s debriefing log. If your simulation program also owns the SIMStation® debriefing system, all of Paul’s log files are immediately transferred to your debrief room and ready for review.
Programming scenarios for Paul doesn’t require a separate application or complicated training – simply create and quicksave the desired patient state. Easily chain quicksaves together with time modifiers and create new scenarios in under five minutes.
3D Animated Control
A crowded Resuscitaire may block your camera’s view of the depth and rate of chest compressions – which is why Paul’s animated GUI displays synchronized graphical representations of learner actions as they happen. Watch compressions happen on your control tablet in 3D as they happen on Paul – another innovative SIMCharacters feature never seen before in the healthcare simulation industry.
Paul works wirelessly over Wi-Fi between the included simulator, control tablet, and patient monitor. Continuously use Paul while he rests on top the charging station, or pick up and hold Paul for an impressive hour and a half of battery use. Simply put, there are no unrealistic wires to plug into Paul.
Finally, Real Patient Monitors for Real Simulation
The SIMCharacters patient monitor offers you the ability to select layouts based on leading manufacturers including Dräger, Philips, Nellcor; with more coming soon. Save countless hours attempting to program a custom monitor layout and reduce add-on costs for bulky patient monitor adapters. With SIMCharacters you can instantly load the look of your preferred pediatric patient monitor. Increase realism and add high emotion during in-situ simulations with the patient monitor layouts your team uses everyday.
We care for your Paul!
Choose between a 2 or 5 year Warranty Extension & Care Program: Extend your 1-year standard warranty to 2 years or 5 years with a system guarantee on all parts and labor. 2-year plan includes 1 preventive maintenance return of your Paul systems for complete refurbishment; 5-year plan includes 2 such returns. Repair completed at our facilities with all shipping and handling costs covered. Ready-to use replacement system promptly shipped to your institution if your system malfunctions for any reason or if a product is required during refurbishment period. Free software updates.